A New Discovery - The Lake

Cal and David at t'Wed lake in Haarlem
t'Wed lake in Haarlem 
t'Wed lake in Haarlem
Lunchtime at the lake

Cal, May 2012
Our favorite beach blanket from La Ticla in Mexico

David and Cal, May 2012
Did you know that Amsterdam is relatively close to the beach? Like half an hour in the car? During the occasional hot spell, like the one we're having this week, I've been lured out there but am always a bit disappointed. I love swimming, but as far as I'm concerned, the flat grey North Sea can go home. There's no contest with the sparkling Pacific. However, just behind the sand dunes at the Haarlem coast there is a very interesting swimming alternative. 't Wed, is a small lake in the Kennemerland National Park. The fresh water is warm and clear over a lovely sandy bottom. On one side there is a kids' swimming area with markers to show 50cm of depth. There's a fair bit of shade and a cute ice-cream shack in the forest behind. David discovered this great spot when he was scouting locations for a shoot and we took Cal there today for his "first swim." I covered him in sunscreen, dipped his toes in the water and he burst into tears. We wrapped him in a towel and gave him a good snuggle, which is one of those deliciously comforting things that I remember my parents doing for me, which now we can do for Cal.

Comments

Popular Posts