Boy's Toys

I like to think that at the moment we're raising Cal in a gender-neutral way (that's not to say I don't dress him in blue, I do because he looks great in it, it brings out his Frank Sinatra-blue peepers), but I wonder will it stay that way as he becomes more interested in certain toys. This morning I was pretending that my lipgloss was a rocket for him and I wondered how much of his gendering I am responsible for. I'm excited about having a boy and I'll admit that part of that is being let off the hook with the particular emotional complexities of raising a girl. I know that's prejudiced, but I feel like I've just hit my stride at age 32 in dealing with female anxieties and am glad that I don't have to worry about passing them onto a little one just yet. That's not to say I wouldn't like a girl in the future, I'm sure she'd be brilliant and funny and much cooler than I ever was when it came to not giving a hoot about what people thought of her. But back to boys. I love everything about this picture of my friend Gabrielle and her 5 year old son Sacha trying on Valentino frocks. I love his scooter parked in the corner of the dressing room and the way he's helping her hold the dress. I can't wait to get up to similar shenanigans with Cal.
Gabrielle and her son Sacha trying on Valentino frocks - the nerve!

Comments

Popular Posts