I Love Old Photos

I've written before about my Granny, but wanted to post a few more of her old photos from the time when my dad was a little boy and they lived on a 100 ft boat in Paignton harbour in the UK. From what I remember of the story, my grandfather (whom I never met) and my Granny lived aboard with my dad and his brother for a part of their childhood during the 50s. They moved aboard when the boys were very little and Granny, terrified of them drowning, constructed life-jackets for them, some time before they were available in children's sizes. I used to love hearing Granny's stories about their life aboard. There were numerous bedrooms, each furnished in a different theme and they had a german shepherd, cat and budgie aboard for company. Apparently it was a lively home, filled with parties, race-day picnics and guests. When my father immigrated to Australia in 1968 his brother John and Granny joined shortly after. When we were growing up we also had a boat. We never lived on it but spent most weekends with Granny and the rest of the family, learning to swim by jumping over the edge and playing chess inside at the table when it was wet.
Granny racing 'dragons' in Paignton
The boys in the life-jackets Granny made for them
Rob and John hanging out on the boom 
Mohira - the boat they lived on
My grandfather George and his best friend Bob
Picnics aboard
The cosy cabin house - looks like a perfect reading spot if you ask me
Roping up for a swim

Comments

Popular Posts