Winter is Coming

Any ideas for ways to entertain babies during winter?
These days whenever I meet other mums with kids older than a year, I'm often asking them what in the world they do with them when it's 5 degrees and raining. Cause I have nooooo idea, and it's starting to worry me. Having grown up in Australia, I still have large gaps in my knowledge of how to survive the cold. In fact, the first time I experienced snow in Amsterdam I skipped out of the house, gaily jumped on my bike and rode half-way down the street before slamming on the breaks and asking a bemused passer-by if I you were even allowed to ride bikes in the snow. I had no idea. In the way that English tourists have no idea about rip tides and spider safety. Almost 9 years on I'm a bit more cluey about snow and the like, but as for cold weather baby-entertainment - I've got nothing. Actually, I've got one thing. Cafe Giraf on the Kinkerstraat. This little gem of a place has a dedicated baby play-room with a treasure trove of awesome kids toys. The manager told me today that most of them are from her sister-in-law in Australia, so instead of saying, "welkom op de kinderboerderij!" they drawl, "welcome to the faaaaaaaarm, eh?" See you there sometime this winter...

Comments

  1. Hi Emma,
    Nice blog! I've been thinking exactly the same thing along with 'what do you put on newborn feet in a Euro winter?'
    I'm also from Sydney and am about to have my first baby (any day now..) in Amsterdam - I'm sure I'll figure it out but it's occupied some precious brain space lately and had me surreptitiously peering at random baby feet! Maybe some mini-ugg boots..
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, I'm thinking less shoes, more snow-suits.. Good luck with your new little one! Perhaps we'll run into each other at cafe Giraf sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts