Just Days Away

On Tuesday January 22nd Cal will be one. Most friends and family's reaction to this fact is Holy Crap, How Did This Happen? But for David and I it feels about right. I'm pretty sure we lived every single day of this past year in technicolour. They were long days. Some of them were like, looong days. A lot of people say it goes so fast, but it didn't feel that way for me. Sometimes I wonder will I look back wistfully when he's 14 and being an absolute punk and think, awwww those baby days.. Who knows. If anything, this year has taught us is what kind of parents we are. What each of us does well and where each of our 'lines in the sand' are. David is great at being patient in the middle of the night. I'm an ogre. I can sit on the floor during the day and stack blocks with Cal till the cows come home. David is better at being on the move with him. I think this year we'll probably try and make him a little brother or sister but we also need a bit more time to catch our breath.

This week has been amazing. Full of newness. Cal pretty much sat on his butt and did nothing for the past two months, but now all of a sudden something has clicked in his brain and has opened doors to whole chambers of new development. This week he figured out how to fall forward from a sitting position onto his knees and rock - the precursor to crawling (praise the lord). He also learned how to clap - the theme song of Thomas the Tank Engine being the main reason for happy clapping. He plays differently. Instead of just swiping at and destroying things - towers, balls close by etc, he now sets himself a task - the ball goes in the cup and out of the cup and back in again. And tonight in the bath he taught himself to gurgle. Instead of gulping at a cup of water he now blows raspberries into it, stopping to grin crazily at me, like are you kidding me, have you tried this??

This week all my Australians couldn't stop talking about the 40 plus degree temps and the southerly buster that blew in to cool things off. I feel a similar sense of relief at these small developments of Cal's. I want him to have his independence, to have the physical wherewithal to match his curiosity and it feels like we're almost there. One. It's happening people.
The light shade came down when I smacked it with my hand. Can you believe it??
Thomas. The Tank Engine. Season One. It'll change your life.
Cal and Mike the Monkey, January 2013

Comments

Popular Posts