We're back!

And I must update this blog before Cal achieves another milestone or we go on another family holiday. No, just kidding, we are never going on another family holiday. Ha ha. Also kidding. Australia was magical, but 24 hours is a Very Long Way with a 1 year old.

To begin. Cal learnt to walk whilst we were in Australia. Or toddle. There's a good reason why they're called toddlers, not walkers. 'Toddling' very aptly describes the risky wobble from one foot to the other that walking requires. And I love that he learnt to walk in Australia, lurching from my mum, to my dad, over to my brothers and back again.

We had such a brilliant time in Australia, I kind of wish I had taken my laptop and blogged every day. Instead we just took the i-Pad and our phones. And unfortunately wi-fi is non-existent in Australia - in one hotel they told us the nearest wi-fi was at the video store down the street. David and I looked at each other in confusion. Video Store? Did we get on the flight to 2009 instead of Sydney?

But apart from bad internet, Australia is pretty much perfect and I encourage everyone to move there. It really is wonderful and I definitely felt myself falling in love with it. The outrageously reliably good weather, the on-trend restaurants with fantastic food that actually deserves to be Instagramed, beaches that Europe could only dream about, and of course my family, family everywhere. It's not the first time I've had holiday romances with cities and know that being on holiday is different to living there, but I really think Sydney must be a wonderful place to live and bring up kids. David and I love living in Amsterdam, too much to leave, but definitely spent hours daydreaming about how we could spend more time in Australia, and especially from January to March when the weather is So Hideous here.

Whilst we were in Sydney David shot a campaign for the Australian brand Seed. He flew down to Melbourne for a few days and had a ball, so hopefully next year he could rustle up some more work there and our Endless Summer dreams could be a reality. 

But for now, we're easing back into the swing of things here. David is back to work and I'll start again tomorrow. Unfortunately Cal has a horrible tummy bug and has been out of it for a few days, but hopefully he'll be well enough to go back to creche this week and show off his new mobility skills. 

I have to say it was harder coming home this time than ever before. Amsterdam felt a little less shiny and I know it's unfair to compare a Sydney February to a Dutch March, but it's just so much easier with a little-y at the beach and in parks instead of in snowsuits and on the floor inside. But I know that it won't be long before good weather returns and Amsterdam transforms into my favorite place in the world again. And in the meantime my lovely parents-in-law met us at the airport with a pot of bursting daffodil bulbs and a couple of bottles of wine. Spring is definitely coming and there's always alcohol to keep us warm till then.

Here are a few of my favorite holiday pics from Australia.
Cal's 'red-neck nappies' complete with Aussie flag.
Tacos and tequila on a golden afternoon with my brother Simon
One of mum and Cal's many adventures
My favorite shot. David and Cal at Manly beach.
Cal, Simon and Alex. Family band jamming.
Mum, Cal and I on our afternoon beach walk in Jervis bay.
Cal with pirate face-paint at his 1 year, 1 month birthday party in Jervis bay.
David and Cal, Jervis bay.
My 91 year old Grandma playing with Cal and Thomas.
Bobbing along in Jervis bay.
Admiring my best-mate Caroline's "tick-tock" in Sydney.
Cal and I at Jervis bay.
On fire in Potts Point, Sydney.
Dining alfresco with Thomas in Potts Point.
Jetlag.
Bathtime in Potts Point with Annema.
First beer of the holiday after arriving in Potts Point, Sydney.

Comments

  1. lovely photos emma! i especially like the one with you and cal on fire. looks like you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts